Department: Sales and Promotion
Type: Select Service/Extended Stay/Full Service
FLSA Status: Exempt
Develops and implements the total sales and marketing efforts of the hotel, including securing new accounts, maintaining existing accounts, supervising activities of sales personnel, and executing sales and marketing strategies to maximize the profitability of the hotel while maintaining guest and client satisfaction.
- Directs the activities of the hotel sales team, providing leadership and motivation necessary to implement effective sales and marketing strategies and to maximize the generation of hotel sales/revenues.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key clients in order to produce group and/or convention business, to include room sales, food & beverage sales, catering/banquet services.
- Develops and manages the departmental budget and monitors sales activities/performance to ensure actual sales meet or exceed established revenue plan; accurately reports variances/projections.
- Directs the scheduling of conventions and group activities at the hotel and coordinates with other hotel-level departments to facilitate services agreed upon by the sales office and prospective clients.
- Completes 40 or more prospecting calls per week
- Develops hotel-level tactical sales and marketing plans to support overall system-wide sales plans/strategies and programs.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with officials and representatives of local community groups and companies, and attends out-of-town conventions to generate convention and group business.
- Documents all sales activities in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assists General Manager in the development and update of the hotel-level business plan to include input on sales goals and plans that support the overall business and sales strategies of the company. Maintains an effective business plan.
- Develops the revenue portion of the budget.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and provides career development for all sales personnel; conducts performance evaluations and provides feedback to employees using company hiring standards and guidelines.
- Follows company policies and procedures and is able to effectively communicate them to subordinates.
- Responds quickly to guest requests in a friendly manner. Follows up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Maintains a professional image at all times through appearance and dress.
Note: Other duties as assigned by supervisor or management.
Internal: All hotel departments and sales staff: To communicates client expectations and/or staff.
- Guests: To provide service.
- Travel Agencies: To promote hotel services and generate business.
- Competition: To stay informed of competitive strategies and business conditions.
- CVB: To promote hotel services and generate business.
- Governmental Agencies: To promote hotel services and generate business; discuss marketing/sales plan to ensure conformance to regulatory requirements.
Education/Experience: High School diploma or equivalent. Two years experience in sales and supervisory experience desirable. Special consideration will be given to those who exhibit exemplary performance.
Certification and/or License Requirement: Sales Certification and training required by brand
- Leadership skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Math and forecasting abilities.
- Sales orientation.
- Planning and organizational abilities.
- Computer skills.
- Customer Service.
- Will be required to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Will be required to work in fast paced environment.
A majority of time will be spent selling and negotiating hotel guestrooms and banquet facility and services, therefore a significant portion of time is spent speaking, listening, thinking, and writing.
A majority of time is spent conducting outside sales, therefore a significant amount of time is spent communicating and interacting with various people inside and outside of the hotel. This person will be listening and speaking to guests and staff, making quick decisions and using problem-solving skills.
Reading and writing abilities are often used when communicating with the hotel outlets and outside contacts when planning services, as well as to document any sales related activity.
A portion of time is spent moving about the property while conducting tours or meeting with other hotel departments.
Some travel is necessary in order to meet potential clients and to attend conventions and trade shows.
Mathematical skills including basic math, problem solving, reasoning, negotiating, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, variances and percentages are often used.
This person may occasionally assist other departments in labor tasks such as setting-up for banquet activities. This sort of activity some times requires the person to lift objects up to 50 pounds.
- Reports to: General Manager, Regional Director of Sales
- Subordinates: Sales Managers, Sales Representatives, Sales Administrative Assistant, Conference Sales Managers, Meeting Services Coordinator